6/28/2010

Vacation 2010 - Day 3

Monday June 28

Alice's plane left at 6:30 so I didn't get up to see her off. Was on the road at 7:40. Took 70 minutes for my average speed to creep up to 25 mph.

France thru the viewfinder and the windshield. Location

The Dog's second tank of gas, only cost $6.28/gl. Bad news: This would be the cheapest gas I bought. Managed 28.3 mpg, the Dog likes its gasoline. Location

Main Street of Tarare was decorated for my arrival. Hopefully they didn't feel slighted that I passed thru without stopping to collect my key to the city. Location

Location

Did a "lap" of everyday road part of the Le Mans 24 Hrs and yes it was raining. The rain started in Mulsanne and ended on the north side of Le Mans. The entrance to Indianapolis. Location

Exit of Arnage and headed to the Porsche Curves. Location

Blasting down the Mulsane Straight at 44 mph. The straight is bumping, even at 44 mph I was being jostled side to side. Must be quite the ride when at speed. Location

Refilled the Dog's gasoline bowl and time he wasn't as thristy, 36.7 mpg.

Farmer Rousseau, driving a Renault 19, taking an injured tire to town. Location

If you don't recognize it, it is a ham & cheese omelet with chips. That, dessert & a coke was €13 ($15.97) Location

Visited with a guy, used to work for Mack Trucks South Africa, so his English was good. He was amazed that I'd driven from Lyon, in a day. It was only 760 km (473 miles) and it took 11 hours. I'm sure he thought I was lying when I told him that the US I drive 800 miles in 12 hours.

Was asked if I voted for Obama. "No" Figured since I was three hours west of Paris I could speak the truth without getting beaten with a croissant. He was surprised and wanted to know why. "He's trying to make the US resemble France." That got a chuckle out him. He didn't like Obama either but his objections were racial instead of ideological. It wasn't just because that Obama was black but that he was black and muslim. He was very expressive of his dislike of both so I steered the conversation back to trucks. Now I wish I'd asked why he thought Obama was muslim.

Spent €35.10 ($43.11) on tolls and €97.67 ($120.52) on gas.

Google Maps Track - Vacation Day 3

To view GPS track in Google Earth
Click This Link and Select Download
In Google Earth Open 'My Places'
Click: 'IMPORT KMZ FILE'
Click: 'Open File...'
Select Downloaded KMZ file: 20100628.kmz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home